News

Strike: There is no court order stopping us – NLC

With less than 24 hours to the commencement of the nationwide strike and mass protests over the hike in fuel price and electricity tariff, Organised Labor has dismissed court orders aimed at stopping the strike.

Amechi Asugwuni, the Deputy President of the Nigeria Labour Congress and President of National Union of Construction, Civil Engineering and Furniture Workers, said they don’t obey rumours. He added that traditional allies have been mobilized ahead of the deadline.

Dateline Nigeria reported that Thursday’s meeting between the labour leaders and representatives of the Federal Government ended in a deadlock.

NLC and TUC have been mobilizing workers nationwide for mazimum compliance.

Speaking on the extent of mobilization and preparedness, Amechi Asugwuni, said that mobilization was in top gear.

He stated, “All affiliates of NLC and TUC have been directed to mobilise members and since early in the week and up till this evening (Friday). Circulars are being issued to members across the country and sectors to fully comply.”

“As of today, nothing has changed and I can tell you that nothing will change between today and Monday. So, workers are fully mobilised. As of 8pm Friday, we have not been served any court order. We are only hearing of one unknown court order and nobody obeys rumour. Nothing changes, the strike will still take place.”

Court Order

Last week, the Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, SAN, obtained an ex-parte order restraining the labour unions from going on strike. The order was approved by Justice Ibrahim Galadima of the National Industrial Court, Abuja.

Another order was obtained by a group, Peace and Unity Ambassadors Association last Thursday.

Justice Galadima said both NLC and TUC should be served within seven days.

The federal government and the AGF are the plaintiffs in the suit marked NICN/ABJ/257/2020. The application was signed by Malami.

Show More

Leave a comment

Back to top button