News

Soldier, girlfriend arrested for supplying bandits with Army uniforms, arms – Zamfara govt

A soldier and his girlfriend who supply bandits with military uniforms and ammunition have been arrested, the Zamfara State Government has said.

The Deputy Chief of Staff to Governor Bello Matawalle, Dr Bashir Maru, disclosed this at a news conference on Friday in Gusau, adding that the arrest was made following intelligence from the community.

Read Also: Gbajabiamila warns against playing politics with Covid-19 vaccines

Governor Matawalle had earlier said that Nigerians would be shocked to know the people behind the abduction of Jangebe schoolgirls.

“While the state government awaits the action of the military on this matter and make an official statement, the development has further proved the position of Governor Bello Mohammed that unless the fight against banditry is cleansed of bad eggs and saboteurs, we may not record the desired success in the fight.

“Let me use this medium to salute the courage and patriotism of the individual who came forward with information that led to the arrest of these traitors. Our gratitude knows no bound,” Dr Maru said.

On the recent attack in Ruwan Tofa village of Maru LGA, the deputy chief of staff said, “The true account of what happened was that a group of suspected armed bandits arrived Tungar Baushe on Tuesday 2nd, March 2021, this week and sought to fuel their motorcycles through act of intimidation and coercion, which they did and took along with them food, drugs, water, soft drinks and thereafter left without recording any casualty.

“As they move out of the village towards the next village of Ruwan Tofa, information spread-out and the Ruwan Tofa community prepared a defence of their territory and in the ensuing melee a large number of the suspected armed bandits were resisted and ambushed and many of the incursors were killed and others escaped with different degree of injuries.

“Two people from Ruwan Tofa sustained gunshots injuries and are recuperating in an undisclosed hospital for the reason of security.

“However, the suspected armed bandits were not done, and the following day, Wednesday 3rd March 2021, they returned to Tungar Baushe. Authoritative sources reported that the bandits attacked the village and burnt down two vehicles loaded with grains and other valuables but no life was lost.

“Unfortunately, they abducted a number of persons including women and children. Gentlemen of the Press, even as we speak, most of the abductees have since returned safely to their village.

“Concerted efforts are well underway by the Zamfara State Police command surveillance unit to ascertain the exact number of those still in captivity.

“It is therefore unfortunate that some media organizations, without proper investigation and confirmation, went ahead to published fabricated accounts dished out to them by enemies of peace in the state.

“It is worthy to ask yourselves as media practitioners why those who gave you the false information of 40 people killed by the bandits (which in itself is blatantly false) refused to give you the information of the bandits killed by sheer efforts of the resilient people of Ruwan Tofa (which in itself is the truth).”

Show More

Leave a comment

Back to top button