The Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) chapter of Academic Staff Union of Nigerian Universities (ASUU) on Tuesday called on ASUU NEC to declare an indefinite strike.
This is contained in a statement signed by Adeola Egbedokun as the resolution of the local congress which held on 23rd August, 2022.
Read the union’s statement below:
RESOLUTIONS OF THE CONGRESS HELD ON TUESDAY, 23RD AUGUST, 2022 AT 11.00AM
Congress was called to order at about 11.30am. Chairman commenced by thanking members for their resilience and doggedness in pursuing the on-going strike action. He lamented that it had not been this rough for the country in recent times. The agenda of the congress was corrected to read as (i) Update on Strike (ii) AoB instead of what was on the circulated notice of meeting.
Update on Strike
Congress noted that:
- a) Principal Officers of the Union met with the Minister of Education who presented a “Take it or leave it” offer to the Union. This offer was a far cry from the proposed agreement submitted to government by Nimi Briggs-led Committee.
- b) Government proposed to release one hundred and seventy (170) billion naira for revitalization fund.
- c) Government proposed to release two tranches of EAA as contained in the 2020 MoA.
- d) The effective date of implementation of a-c above was proposed to be June, 2023 after all the monetary implications have been captured in the 2023 budget.
Congress also noted that despite the results of the test on UTAS, U3PS and IPPIS where UTAS emerged as the best of the three, government was still not willing to deploy UTAS but instead, was busy setting up Technical Committee to review IPPIS. Government is also dragging foot on the release of the white paper on Visitation Panel.
Congress resolved that:
- Members be more resolute in their support to the leadership of ASUU in the prosecution of this action.
- The National Secretariat should be present on social media in order to engage the young populace the more and educate them rightly.
- Members should not participate in any statutory meeting of the University, and especially A&PC during the on-going strike.
- NEC should be advised to roll over the ongoing strike into indefinite strike.
- Adjournment: Congress adjourned at about 1: 47pm. 23/08/2022
Adeola Egbedokun Ph.D