People in the country and abroad have been expressing concerns over reports of a fire incident in Aso Rock Villa, the seat of the Nigerian government.
I will like to clarify that there was no fire inside the Presidential Villa.
In the evening of Saturday, March 6, a fire broke out, burning shrubs between the outer wire fence and walls surrounding the Villa, precisely in the area between Villa and Barracks, towards Asokoro.
The fire, as being speculated, might have started from a passer-by who dropped a burning cigarette. The Federal Fire Service will ascertain the reason for it when they complete their investigation.
It suffices to say that this bush fire, which started and ended outside the perimeter walls of the Villa, was seamlessly contained by fire stations of the State House and the FCT Federal Fire Service. No loss of life, no loss whatsoever to building and property was recorded.
We thank well-meaning Nigerians for expressed concerns.
Senior Special Assistant to the President
(Media & Publicity)
March 7, 2021